When Can Other Family Relatives Get Awarded Visitation

couple greeting senior parents at front door as they come to visit

Regrettably, beloved siblings or grandparents can sometimes be denied visitation rights in child custody and child visitation cases. Such decisions can be heart-wrenching. Indeed, they can even be detrimental to the care and development of the child in question. Child visitation decisions can, however, be overturned in Arizona.

Generally, it must be petitioned to restore grandparents’ visitation rights and sibling visitation rights. A competent family attorney can help and should be contacted.

In Arizona, grandparents and siblings can be awarded third-party visitation rights. Here are some facts that are good to know for siblings or grandparents trying to obtain visitation rights:

  1. Visitation rights are especially likely to be granted if one or both of the parents are deceased or have been missing for over three months.
  2. Additionally, if the child was born to an unmarried couple, grandparent or sibling visitation rights are more likely to be granted.
  3. In the case of grandparents’ visitation rights, a positive resolution is more likely if the parents of the child have had their marriage dissolved at least three months prior to the court petition.
  4. In some cases, a grandparent or sibling can legally act in the place of the parents of a child. This is referred to as “in loco parentis.” Such a designation is more likely to be granted by the court if the parents are actively seeking to terminate their marriage.

Suppose you are in a situation where you’d like to get visitation rights to a grandchild or sibling. In that case, a skilled Arizona family law attorney can help.

Contact the Fruchtman Law Firm for competent and professional assistance. We are experienced advocates on behalf of siblings and grandparents seeking visitation rights.