My Spouse Wants to Adopt My Child From a Prior Relationship- Scottsdale Family Law Attorney

Adoption from prior relationshipIf you have remarried, you likely desire to make your new family complete by making sure your new spouse has full parental rights over your children. However, this is not a simple process. In order for a stepparent to adopt stepchildren, the other biological parent must either give their consent, or they must have lost their rights through a process called Parental Rights Termination.

Reasons to Consent to Step Parent Adoption:

While it may be hard to believe that anyone would consent to another man or woman adopting his or her biological children, it does happen. When a stepparent legally adopts their spouse’s children, they become financially responsible for those children, eliminating the need for child support and other financial obligations.

Parental Rights Termination Process:

If the other biological parent does not consent to the stepparent adoption, you will need legal help from Hope E. Fruchtman, an experienced Scottsdale family law attorney who knows how to fight for what is best for your children.

In order to secure a parental rights termination, you will need to prove not only that the change will be in the best interest of the child, but more importantly that the biological parent is unfit to parent. This can be proven in a variety of ways, most notably in showing that the biologic parent has abandoned and played no role in the child’s life for at least six months.

Remember, the courts respect biological parent rights and will seek to protect those rights except in the case where it is clearly demonstrated that the parent is unfit, or where the parent willingly relinquishes their parental rights. In either situation, you will need the legal counsel and assistance of an experienced attorney. The Law Office of Hope E. Fruchtman has served the Arizona community for over twenty years and is ready to assist you as well. Contact us today to discuss your case.