Lost my job. How do I pay Child Support?

child support

The primary obligation of being a parent is your child’s needs. Therefore, if you have been ordered to pay child support, you are obligated to pay it. Your child’s needs do not cease just because you are no longer working.  Additionally, in Arizona, you can be charged with a crime for failing to pay child support. The Fruchtman Law Firm might be able to draw up a temporary modification of the support order. 

Do I have to Pay Child Support if I Lose My Job?

In short, yes, you do have to pay your child support obligation. Arizona can charge you with a crime (misdemeanor or felony) depending on how much arrears have accumulated. The unpaid support obligation continues to accrue interest. 

What can I do and What Happens?

Although you have lost your job, the obligation of child support still exists. Tell your ex-spouse that you are not working and have applied for unemployment. The child support payments will be deducted from your weekly benefit amount. However, do not avoid the obligation while waiting for unemployment. There are other steps you must take. 

What am I required to do?

The most imperative thing to do is contact the child support office and inform them of your employment status. Doing so will establish a positive record of updating your lack of income to the correct officials. This shows you are not intentionally averting your child support obligation. 

How Your Attorney Can Help

At the time the child support was originally drafted, it was based on your monthly income. Now that you no longer have that income, you will need an Arizona Child Support Attorney to modify the order. Hope Fruchtman is a Child Support Attorney in Scottsdale AZ who can help you avoid detrimental legal action when you cannot pay child support. 

Contact the Fruchtman Law Group at 480-209-1918 for a consultation appointment. When you cannot make child support payments, you need assistance from this Scottsdale Child Support attorney.