I Lost My Job, Can I Modify Child Support Payments?

child support payment modification

Scottsdale family law attorney, Fruchtman Law Firm discusses the title question.  Is there anything that can legally be done in such an instance?  What are the first steps I must take?  We will present answers to these questions in this concise blog. 

I Lost My Job: Can I Modify Child Support Payments?

The answer to this question largely depends on two things.  One is why you lost your job.  If it was through no fault of yours, you may be able to modify your child support payments.  If the reason you lost your job was due to negligence or disregard for your employer, you might have to continue making the current payments.  Only via the family courts can you get a sound decision.

The other thing that determines what happens next is the laws in your home state.  Each state or country has different laws that make provisions for child support payment modification if you have lost your job.  It is your responsibility to find out what the laws in your region are.  For complete information if you live in Arizona, contact Scottsdale child support attorneys right away. 

Under What Circumstances Can My Payments Be Modified?

  • Loss of job
  • A decrease in income
  • An increase in income (your payments could increase)
  • A promotion at work (resulting in an increase of payments)
  • Your ex-spouse remarries
  • Your ex-spouse loses their home
  • The parent paying the support suffers a significant medical injury

What Steps Must I Take?

As we mentioned, the first thing to do is contact a skilled Scottsdale child support modification attorney.  He or she will then file a motion with the local family court.  DO NOT expect your child support payments to completely end.  Legally, you must always pay something.   Remember, the judge is human and not totally lacking in sympathy with regard to your predicament.  He or she will do what the laws permit to help you out.