Can I be a Guardian When Not Related to the Child?


It is a disconcerting fact, a huge number of children are being raised by someone other than their biological parents. When a child does not have their biological parents, the court must assign a guardian. Depending on the situation, guardianship may be awarded on a temporary or permanent basis. Ninety percent of the time, the guardian is not related to the child they are caring for. If you are thinking about filing for guardianship of a child the Fruchtman Law Firm can help.  

Who can be a Guardian?

Anyone adult not already assigned parental rights can be the legal guardian of a minor child. This person may be a sibling, parent, even a good friend. Additionally,  if the child is over the age of 14 they can choose who acts as their guardian. 

A guardian will have physical custody as well as responsible for supervising and caring for a minor ward. 

Can you be a Guardian if Not Blood-Related?

Yes.  To be the legal guardian of a child, no blood relation is required. The three requirements–  at least 18 years of age, proven competent, and be a legal U.S. resident or citizen. Although the court prefers to assign guardianship to a relative, there are cases in which the guardian is a non-relative. 

What is Required?

A person must file a Petition for Appointment of Guardianship of a Minor when requesting to be awarded guardianship of a minor ward. Beth Fruchtman is a Scottsdale Family Lawyer that will be able to assist you with the needed paperwork. 

How your Attorney can Help

When you plan to file for guardianship you have a lot of questions about the process.  The Fruchtman Law Firm is a Scottsdale Family Law Attorney capable of answering all your questions. She will assist you with all the paperwork. Counseling, advising and representing you when it is time to go to court. 

If you are filing a guardianship, call the Fruchtman Law Firm, a Family Law Attorney in Scottsdale AZ at 480-209-1918 for a consultation appointment.